Tuesday, August 21, 2007

My EEG, My Brain

Most know, but others may not. I have epilepsy. I was diagnosed at the age of 9. My mom describes my early years as pretty much going to the hospital for tests, and check ups. I had grand mal seizures, the worst kind. Thankfully, I've been seizure free for over 10 years. I have had some petit mals (which are easy for my to control and no biggie I say). ....Well, my mommy and honee think it's time for me to be checked through a process called EEG. It's a way scan your brain activity and check for any spikes (seizure activitiy). Basically, they hook a bunch of wires to your head (great for self-esteem) and then they put you through a series of tests, breathing, lights, and other crazy things. They monitor your brain activity the whole time.
Well, the bad deal is that I need to be sleep deprived (any one want me to watch a newborn?). I have to be up for equivelent to an entire day with no sleep. I need to be up until midnight and wake up at 4 a.m. Then I need to stay awake until my tests at 1:30 p.m. on Wed. Does anyone else want to trade me places? This will be an interesting night and a long day tomorrow. Thankfully I have a great staff at both stores who said that they are willing to help out as I need them too!!!
Oh, and I can't have any caffeine!
Pictures will be posted tomorrow night.....you can all get a good laugh.
I pray for no spikes. I DO NOT want to be on any medication!!!!

post signature

1 comment:

ImdaMaMa said...

OK since my daughter is such a comedienne...let's talk about her tests...now in this day and age it is easy...but when she was first diagnosed and we had several eeg's a year...imagine...Mom....2 other children...one a little over 2 the other 6 both boys...Dad who was gone on work related business a lot...having to keep a 9 year old up all night...yes all night back then...how fun...then she slept through the EEG and Mom paced and then they would say...no changes...all is well...just keep the medications as is...whew...but then the boys...can't stay with the sitter all day...so Mom gets them...oh, did I mention she kept sleeping...Mom...awake taking care of the boys....night time...she is awake...I need sleep she wants to watch TV, which in those days quit at midnight as we did not have cable then...OK so now, I will be with her tomorrow, however, she must stay up until midnight and get up at 4 am...I will sleep...ok so I will let her sleep after but the kicker is I get to be with my grandbabies....this is good so the lesson is...wait long enough and all the sleep deprivation is replaced with Grandbabies...not bad...not bad at all.....Love them children young and old....Grammie